Monday 7 October 2019

The Price


Welcome stranger; I know what you seek for I am proof that such a thing exists. You have accomplished much and endured hardships that would be unimaginable to many, and relinquished much of your humanity to reach me. Before you take up your rightful place please indulge an old man his tale. It might not be too late for you; you still have one more choice to make.
You are most generous. I sense disquiet in your soul, maybe my tale will help make up your mind for I was once like you; young, headstrong; far more powerful than those around me. I could not help but feel disdain for them; they were nothing but encumbrances to my becoming.
It all started when I was old enough to realise that my family were nothing but leeches; lacking the intelligence and understanding that I possessed –they would never rise above. School was no better; the other pupils nothing but insects, slugs rather than caterpillars. It was obvious that they wold never amount to anything and the teachers were no better; spouting the tedium by rote rather than by learning.
I learnt what I could and surpassed them in no time; soon I went to university and, like a vampire, learnt what I could, used everyone as I saw fit and became even more powerful.
I took over the family business, such as it was, and took it to greater heights than it was ever felt possible but it still wasn’t enough. Under my auspices it became a multi-national giant. Books were written of me and I became world famous; but by the time I had achieved all of this I realised that it wold soon be in vain. Death would soon make a mockery of all that I had wrote and I could not let it happen. For lesser people maybe, but not me. Not me!
I see that this is ringing true in your eyes and have walked a similar path; have had the same obsession course through your veins, but please bear with me for I am near the end. It took years of research and I travelled all around the world, under the cover of business expansion; and spent hundreds of thousands of pounds to discover the truth behind immortality and the Fountain of Youth. Was it another fairy tale or was it a reality? As you have found out, it was a truth; the Fountain of Youth in plain sight; but how to discern the actual location? This is what cost me far more than pounds and pence.
Yes, I managed to find the original translation of Herodotus’ Papyrus Oxrhychus but I it is something that I can never atone for; some documents are best left unfound..
You see me now, three hundred years later, barely able to walk. Ask me whether I regret my search and I will denounce it as folly. My only hope is that you will complete the pact and replace me for only by sacrificing your humanity can you become immortal.
But you are too eager my friend and your blow was swift. Had you had more patience I could have given you the choice that I never had. Alas, now it is too late. Drink from the Fountain as I tell you your final fate.
You will not be able to leave here. The effects of the Fountain are singular: they will prolong your life indefinitely but only if you continue to sup from its flowing water. It can not be transported for it will grow stale and dead. Without the waters you will die a horrible death from rapid aging, but no doubt you will find this out to your own folly –try to prove me wrong, I will not stop you.
Fear not, you will not die all the time you drink from the Fountain, though you will continue to age. Imagine being as I am over three hundred and fifty years of age and still not able to die.
This is the truth of immortality; it is a curse, not a blessing. This is the real price.

No comments: